"Mana-manalogues: Kenapa Tak Tukar Nama?" is a theatre I've watched from the Yayasan Sime Darby Arts Festival. It's located in KLPAC. The theatre is about a Chinese lady named Mei Ying who wants to marry with a Malay guy. She has booked a honey moon flight trip with her future husband but all the process need her IC to proceed. She went to JPN to register her new IC as Islam religion but then she doesn't want to change her Chinese name. JPN called her for interview few times to persuade her to change her name to Muslim's name but she refused. Her daddy and mummy are very open minded people because they don't stop her daughter marry with Malay guy just they concern about the differences between Islam and Buddhist culture like when she pass away, she cannot bury in Chinese cemetery.
After watching the whole 30 mins theatre, I've realized this theatre is talking about a very common issue that always happened in Malaysia but we don't really care about it as we are not the one who faced it. After the theatre I starts to think about it. Ya, why we need to change our name? We are Chinese, not only Muslim name has meaning, our Chinese name also has a unique meaning that mean to our parent. Mei Ying respects Islam culture as I have noticed she wear tudung when she goes to JPN, official public government area. She does respect the culture. Just she wants to marry with Malay guy, she need to abandon her parent? Who teach like this? Which book? Which law? Allah? God? or just the people created it and practice it? I believed that even Allah won't teach people to abandon their parents.
I quite shocked when I watched the theatre, because she plays for all role such as her parent, JPN officers, staff and etc. It's really a difficult for people to act all plays. A little bit sad for those who doesn't know all the language as she is using Cantonese and Chinese languages to express her role. It's very nice when you understand all the languages. I did not miss out anything. Just the space provided quite small. I can't even see when she is behind the bar. Honestly, I haven't reach the marriage age so I can't really understand the feeling and the experience of her. However, her dress code, languages, and the plays of JPN officer is bringing me engaged in the condition as this is what I saw from daily, from my life too. How the officers speaks, sit is very common in Malaysia. It makes me feel like I'm in the situation too.
I learnt from this theatre. Even is a common issue or matter happened everyday, if you think in different perspectives, you will realize you are facing too. For this case, it's seems to be a Chinese girl married to Malay guy and changing name but then in another perspective, it's reflected differences in Chinese culture and Islam culture? Is it a situation very familiar in Malaysia like religion problem, races problem that unsolved?

No comments:
Post a Comment